Thursday, June 14, 2012

New Student Mondays: How to Meet People in College

One of the biggest concerns I hear from students about to start college deals with meeting people. How will I meet people? Will I like the other students there? Will I find friends? Will I find good friends? Will I like my roommate? How do I get to know people when I'm going somewhere where I know absolutely no one?

One simple -- but magical! -- fact that many students forget is that nearly everyone starting college with you is new and doesn't know anyone else, either. Fortunately, this simple fact totally changes the dynamics that usually exist in social situations. After all, it would take an exceptionally brave person to just walk up to everyone at a party where everyone knows each other and introduce himself or herself. When college first starts, however, everyone is new, so doing introductions and meeting people quickly becomes something you'll do 100 times a day. No matter how shy you are, it becomes difficult not to run into new folks or be involved in something where you have to talk to other students. So if you're worried about meeting people on campus, don't be! There are tons of ways to meet people in college and, better yet, tons of people in the exact same situation.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment