Saturday, September 10, 2011

TIMED Time Management System

Time management for students can often be one of the hardest -- and yet, most important -- skills to learn during your time in school. With so much going on, having good time management as a student can be critical for your success.

Knowing what good time management looks like, however, can be a challenge in and of itself. Using the acronym "TIMED," you can ask yourself if what you're doing at any given moment is indeed a productive use of your time -- or not.

The TIMED Time Management System for Students

T - Task Related? Ask yourself: Is what I'm doing task related? Does it relate to my homework? To something I know I need to get done? Or am I just doing something without an end goal or time limit?

I - Interesting? Is what I'm doing interesting? If someone walked in, would I stop what I was doing or keep doing it? For example, looking at graduate programs you're interested in online may not be task-related, but it can be interesting and, in the long run, helpful.

M - Matter? Does what I'm doing matter? For example, reading news online so you can find a topic for your political science paper matters. Reading news online about the latest celebrity pregnancy probably doesn't. If you went to bed having not done the thing you're doing right now, would you be any worse off?

E - Education-related? Is what I'm doing related to my education? Will it help me in a class? On a project? With a lab report? In a later class? Be able to better understand the material I'm reading in class this week?

D - Deadline-driven? Is what I'm doing related to a deadline? Do I need to get something done by a certain time today/tomorrow/this week -- and if so, does this help or hurt that deadline? Is the deadline being addressed in a positive way by what I'm doing right now?

The TIMED acronym is both easy to remember and a simple way to make your time management in school easier in general. With so much in your brain already, the TIMED system can help you stay on track, stay productive, and stay in school -- you know, so you'll always have the time to do the things you really want (besides that Shakespeare paper, of course).


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment